Sunday

Slow Going - Still Giving Spot the Dog a Run for his Money






18 days after 




18 days after

Well it's not going as fast as it was.  When the dressings first came off it looked like it was going to heal in double quick time, but this end bit seems to have stopped in it's tracks a bit.  I suppose it descends on how deep it is underneath.  Whether or not it was going septic I have no idea, I was given antibiotic cream but that seems to make it worse and also made the scabbing start to crack so after a phone call to the hospital I have now stopped it, back to vaseline.  Still seems a bit pussey to me though.  So these pictures are  18 days after.  Not so long I suppose.  The funny thing is that the long scars down the side which seemed so pale to start seem to be getting darker red now, or maybe it's just my imagination.  I do know for a fact now that I am horribly vain, and have hardly left the house, and when I do it's with Alan by my side!  Back to see the doctor on Monday.

Update: (for Donna). 2014 and you can hardly tell it's there. There is a white scar, but that's getting smaller. Remember my nose was not straight to start with anyway. On my bad days I feel it looks a bit mangled, but when I am completely honest with myself I know that absolutely no-one notices. If I feel the need, I use a cover stick over the scar, but that happens less and less, and to be honest I just feel it is part of who I am.
I avoid being out in the sun now, and on really sunny days will even take an umbrella to sit under for the midday sun. I will sit and feel the sun on my face late in the afternoon. I have got totally used to the pale and interesting English look rather than trying to keep a tanned look with make-up or whatever, my skin is what it is. Yes I loved being tanned (albeit with fake and make up) but I've just given that up. Oh yes the mangled bit is also because in January I went back thinking it had come back again, they took another biopsy, but it turned out fine, but that is yet another scar on scar on scar, my poor little nose has had more operations and stitches on it than the rest of my body put together. (stitches at 16 for a non heeling spot / two nose straightening jobs, biopsy stitches / mohs / another biopsy = pretty mangled little area on face - but as you can see - it really doesn't show). MOHS surgery is amazing, I am incredibly thankful to all concerned (except stupid original doctor who I refuse to deal with anymore), for what I am sure 40 years ago would have been a complete mess. Donna - it's absolutely fine, seems huge at the time but as they always say about everything - give it time).




14 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting all of this... it's really helpful. A mix of reassuring and frightening you look good and it all seems hard. I relate to so much you say here as I begin with the same diagnosis here I go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I don;t know if you'll get to read this, but one year on and it all seems like something and nothing now. I was terrified before, but once you know what it all involves it isn;t so scary anymore, because it can always be put back together. I wish you all the best and hope it is nowhere near as bad as you are probably fearing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks I'm now on the waiting list now for Mohs surgery mixture of calm, feeling very well and wondering how far 'IT' has infiltrated...
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donna, I think the wait was the worst, really worse than all the rest of it. What your mind can do is quite amazing and fear is very ppowerful. I know there is little I can say other than it really will be ok. There were nights I was absolutely terrified and bawling my eyes out before, but once the day came it all changed and someone else took charge and it just happened. And although it initially looks awful, 18 months on, who'd know? Good luck and hope it all goes really well.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sue thanks again that's kind. My appt is 2 June and I think that's okay cos non aggressive and slow growing. Dr Ed Seaton will do the mohs and he seems very good. Told to expect skin flap or skin graft to reconstruct my nose! :O
    I'm in no rush really if its medically okay to wait. Like my nose want to keep it as it is for as long as I can. Reassuring to have these pages something to keep referring back to thank you again. You said a lot about you here...me I'm 50 a counsellor and social worker work for a charity with disabled people. And I have perspective on this so yeh still wait and see. Looked at your pics on your something special website you look really good:-) doing this on my phone cuse any typos.
    All the best


    ReplyDelete
  6. (Gave up trying to reply couldn't get it all in) Hey Donna, well that's a nice long way off. I think it's kinda comforting having to wait as you know its not life and death, but you do know you need to do something. It amazes me how (when you do picture searches - maybe not the best idea but we all do it) how some of the most awful messes eventually look like nothing has ever been done, it really is an amazing skill these guys have. Thanks for your comments re the jewellery - giving it a break at the moment but am sure to go back to it in time. I also think being less than teenage (lol) makes it maybe easier for us, although I am incredibly vain, I did also accept that there were worse things than having a bloody great dressing on your face for a week or two lol. Hugs and best wishes and look forward to hearing from you again. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue please can I ask how is life now? Can you whear make up over the scar and how do you approach summer? Sun hat, sun cream or just avoidance? Sorry for questions just wonder how life is post bcc particularly due to risk of further cancer. Thanks again you have been so helpful. All good stuff to you. Donnax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Donna - I put an update above to answer your questions. I don;t have any closer photos (that I would publish at least), but I think you can get the idea - its all fine, really fine. (btw I don;t use cream in the summer - I just avoid - oh and wear foundation all year round).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again and you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW why no sun cream just out of interest? Just me pondering how obessive and in what ways I should be...all good things Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my mohs surgery last week after a cancellation. My tip to anyone waiting for NHS treatment ask for a short notice cancellation it brought my surgery forward by a month. Nhs waiting lists can be like snakes and ladders you can go both up and down. So anyone waiting be proactive. My cancer out in one go and stitches (12 small ones) out two days time. Then for me sun screen and big hats. I've even brought a parasol! Plus vitamin D supplements. ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just realised Donna that my comments didn;t publish - doh! Glad you got it done and yours was relatively easy - fear is the worst part of life I believe, the actual doing is much easier once that step is taken.
    In answer to your earlier question re the sun screen. I don;t really use it because I avoid the sun like the plague - using an umbrella very often in the sun (like Asians do - they know what they are doing!). If I know I will get caught out in the sun then its the highest factor / block I can find, but mostly I will have my back to the sun. Hope it heals really quickly and neatly, and really good to talk with you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sue. Yes the wisdom of Asian cultures sun hats and umbrellas! This is such a helpful blog.The high possibility of developing further skin cancer is indeed scary. I'm already anxious about a spot on my nose tho a consultant dermatologist magnified my nose last week. Thanks for all you've shared it helped a lot. You're very nice to know even briefly here in this blog its obvious that you are! Xx

    ReplyDelete